Friday, July 24, 2009

Making a Large Vase

Today I thought that I would show how I make my large vases.

First, I make my base piece. Then I make my neck piece, which has an open bottom. I dry those pieces for a while in the sun.


When the pieces are dry enough to support the weight of the top piece, I score and slip the rim of the base piece.

Next, I score the bottom of the neck piece and place on top of the bottom piece. The two pieces are then pressed and smoothed together using my thumbs on the inside and outside, pushing down. I smooth with a metal rib to finish.

The handles are added next to finish the piece. The piece will dry for 3-4 days, then be bisque fired to cone 05. Then I will glaze it and fire it to cone 5. I hope to have this piece done by the end of next week. Check back to see the finished product.





No comments: